After spending the night in Cheltenham, we started day 7 touring the ancient city of Bath and its Roman sites and then going on to visit Stonehenge.
Driving out of Cheltenham
Bath is known for its Georgian architecture with long terraces of townhouses.
Bath was originally established around 60 AD as a spa called Aquae Sulis
Gardens on the way to Victoria Park and the Royal Crescent.
We saw many beautiful flower gardens in this part of England
This is the Royal Crescent, a curved terrace of 30 residences in Bath built 1767 - 1774. Today, this mostly houses a hotel, a museum and offices, though a number of people still live here.
This tea room was established in the 1930s by Marie Byng-Johnson.
The Sally Lunn Eating House, originally part of the Duke of Kingsont's house in 1480.
The Abbey Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, AKA Bath Abbey.
The site was originally established as a convent in 675. Construction as a major cathedral started around 1090.
The original fan vaulting was designed by Robert and William Vertue. The current vaulting is a reconstruction by Gorge Gilbert Scott, based on the original design.
The current church is the result of many cycles of restoration, the last of which was in the 1860s
Seen in the courtyard of the Abbey
Rotunda of thet main entrance to the museum of the Roman Baths
Map of the site
The Great Bath
One of the statues surrouding the Great Bath
The King's Bath
The Sacred Spring
Legendary king of the Britons, King Bladud overlooking the King's bath. He supposely founded Bath around 500 BC and created the hot springs using magic.
In Legend the city of Bath was dedicated by King Bladud to the goddess Athena or Minerva
Underground hot springs
Remains of a caldarium, or hot bath. The floor of the bath sat on top of these stacks of blocks ("Pilae stacks",) and hot air from fires was routed through the resulting space, called a hypocaust, which heated the floor of the bath.
The Circular Bath
Andrea by the Great Bath, talking with museum staff
Lunch at Sally Lunn's
On the way out of Bath
Bath from the road, showing a good view of Georgian terraces with the St Saviors Church in the middle
Westbury white horse - the oldest of the Wiltshire chalk horses, estimated to have been originally created over 300 years ago.